Tesco has unveiled a new Clubcard scheme which will let customers request vouchers whenever they want instead of having to wait for their next quarterly statement – as first revealed by MoneySavingExpert last month.
At the end of July we exclusively reported that Tesco’s new ‘Faster Vouchers’ scheme would let customers download vouchers on demand, after we got hold of a staff briefing document. The story was picked up widely by the national press – though at the time, Tesco hadn’t formally announced the scheme and wouldn’t give any details of how it would work.
Now though the supermarket giant has launched the scheme on its website – and customers should be able to start using it to download vouchers over the next couple of weeks.
For full help on how to make the most of the Clubcard scheme, see our Reclaim & Boost Tesco Vouchers guide.
Get Our Free Money Tips Email!
How will Faster Vouchers work?
As we explained in our original story back in July, you’ll need to use the Clubcard app or your Clubcard online account to get the vouchers.
Annoyingly, Tesco hasn’t yet told us exactly when customers will be able to start using the scheme – we’ll update this story as soon as we hear back.
When we tried it at MSE Towers on Monday, we weren’t able to use it to download vouchers yet. But it’s likely to be operational in the next fortnight or so, as you can’t download Faster Vouchers in the two weeks before Clubcard statements are posted out, and August is a month when that happens.
Here’s how it works:
- You request points by using the Clubcard app or by using your Clubcard online account. Simply say that you’d like to turn your points into Faster Vouchers and they’ll be ready to spend up to 24 hours later.
- To spend the vouchers, you can print them or scan them from your phone. You can print your Faster Voucher at home and take it to the shops, or bring your mobile and scan the voucher directly from the Clubcard app.
- You can spend your Faster Vouchers in-store, online or with Reward Partners. Essentially you can do most things you’d normally do with your Clubcard vouchers (though as below, you won’t be able to use Faster Vouchers if you use certain other voucher schemes).
- You need to have at least 150 Clubcard points (from a Tesco store) or Tesco Bank points to request a Faster Voucher. This is the equivalent of £1.50.
- You’ll have to turn all your points into vouchers at once. You have to convert all the points you have, rounded down to the nearest 50p. You can also only convert points once a day.
- Your vouchers will be valid for up to 21 months from the date you choose to turn your points into Faster Vouchers. The expiry date will be displayed on the vouchers. It’s worth noting this could be a small downside of the changes, as you can currently use Clubcard vouchers for two years.
- If you get a Faster Voucher, you’ll no longer get Clubcard statements by post. Instead you’ll just receive your quarterly Clubcard statement by email. If you want to opt into receiving a postal statement and paper vouchers again, you need to do so on the Clubcard website.
- If you’re a member of certain other voucher schemes you WON’T be able to get Faster Vouchers. Tesco’s website says if you opt into a voucher scheme such as its Christmas savers scheme or British Airways Executive Club, you won’t be able to request Faster Vouchers unless you opt out of the scheme. We’re trying to get more details about how this works – and if there are any other examples – and will update this story when we know more.
- Faster Vouchers aren’t available two weeks before Tesco sends out Clubcard statements. This happens in November, February, May and August, though the exact dates within those months can change so thereare no set cut-off dates when you won’t be able to download Faster Vouchers.
For more information, see Tesco’s website.