How to claim a refund
You can make a claim if you were the donor (the person who made the Power of Attorney) or the attorney (the person appointed by the donor) – but the refund will be paid to the donor. You can claim a refund even if the Power of Attorney has been used. The deadline for applying is 31 January 2021.
You can apply for a refund online. If you’re struggling with the online application, you can get extra guidance by phoning the Office of the Public Guardian’s helpline on 0300 456 0300 and selecting option six.
You don’t need the Power of Attorney document itself, but you will need:
- The donor’s name, address and date of birth.
- Their UK bank account number and sort code.
- The name of one of the attorneys on the Power of Attorney.
Here are the other need-to-knows:
- You only need to make one claim for each donor – even if you’ve made multiple Powers of Attorney.
- It can take up to 12 weeks for your claim to be processed and paid.
- If your claim is refused and you want to appeal the decision, you can call the refunds helpline on 0300 456 0300 and select option six.
- If the donor doesn’t have a UK bank account or you’re a court-appointed deputy, you’ll have to apply by phone.
- You can also claim for an Enduring Power of Attorney if you registered it in the relevant period. The Lasting Power of Attorney replaced the Enduring Power of Attorney on 1 October 2007, but it’s possible someone could have drafted the latter before the cut-off date and registered it during the refund period – and so would be eligible.
If the donor has died, you can still claim but you will need to email instead of applying online. You will need:
- Their death certificate.
- A grant of representation (such as a grant of probate or letters of administration) or a will.
You can email these, along with your contact details, to email@example.com, or send copies by post to POA Refunds Team, 7th Floor, Office of the Public Guardian, PO Box 16185, Birmingham, B2 2WH.
Once you’ve sent the documents, you’ll receive a call from the refunds team.